How to apply for UK Visa in Dubai
Note: Although more or less the requirements are same for all the nationalities however this information applies to only Pakistani nationals with UAE residency visa.
The overall experience was typical to get a UK visa; it took me almost 30 days altogether from the date of application to getting the visa stamped on my passport. However, there are a couple of things you need to know and arrange before you apply.
First of all, I want to highlight crucial information which you need to know before you apply.
UK Visas and Immigration has appointed VFS Global to process the visa applications. I recommend submitting your visa application 3 or 4 weeks before your scheduled travel plan. Here are the four general steps:
- Fill in the application form online and answer in English.
- Pay the visa fee online.
- Print out your form.
- Book and attend an appointment at VFS Global.
As a first step, you need to visit UK Visa Website to apply for a tourist or short stay visa.
In the next step, you can choose your language to see the questions however your answers must be in English. You can select Urdu as well as Arabic amongst other 19 available language options.
On the next page, choose your visa type, which is standard visa in this case, and then you need to select the country from which you are making this application which is UAE.
Then you need to make an account on this website to submit your application, all you’ll need is an email ID and to choose a password. The entire application process will take around 30 minutes depending on your circumstances.
Once, it is done, just follow the onscreen instructions to fill up the required details. It will include, your name, your home address, your parents’ details, your marital status details, your previous passport details if any and your travel history. This is the part which took most of my time to fill as I have quite a long travel history and one has to fill in the exact travel dates and the country name.
Once it is done, you will review and submit the application. Please be reminded that once you submit your application, you cannot make any changes in it.
In the next step, you would pay the fee which will depend upon your type of visa application and service type, for regular service it is 122 USD, you can pay it with your credit or debit card.
After payment confirmation, you need to book an appointment; you will see available options on the screen, choose one suitable for you.
Print your application along with the checklist for the required documents. Your document checklist will depend on your details which you submitted while filling up the application.
Usually, you need to attach following:
- Your original passport and any other previous passports which you hold. Your passport must be valid for your visit to the UK, be in good condition, and have at least one-page blank on both sides.
- Your UAE residence visa must be stamped on your passport as evidence that you have permission to be in the country you are applying from.
- All supporting documentation should be in English or should be certified translated copies.
- You should include a copy of each original document which you are sending with your application.
- Documents showing any plans you have made, such as tour details/flight details/letter of invitation/evidence of sponsor’s immigration status in the UK.
- Documents showing the income and employment stated in application form, such as letter from employer/pay slips/business registration documents
- Bank statements, I recommend attaching six months bank statement.
- Documents showing where you live, such as Property deed or tenancy contract.
- Documents showing your UK accommodation and travel details, such as Hotel booking confirmation.
The fee for UK tourist visa is 133 USD for regular service.
Location for VFS Global Visa Application Center in Dubai:
WAFI Mall, Level 3, Falcon, Phase 2
Umm Hurair 2 – Dubai – UAE
Most applications are processed within ten days.
I submitted my online application on 10th November and got an appointment for 20th November. While applying VFS, I did not opt for any additional services such as SMS, passport delivery by courier etc.
After applying, I headed for biometric submission. VFS officer will capture your fingerprints and take a picture.
On 10th December I received a call from VFS that my passport is ready for collection, I collected it next day.
Multiple entry visa was granted with a total validity of 6 months.
Heading to the UK? Check out my blog for useful tips to save money and get best out of your trip.
Looking for more specific information or got any question? Do post it in the comments and I’ll respond as soon as I can.